Thinking of taking Covid vaccine shot? A few points to remember
India is currently in its third phase of Covid-19 vaccination where those above 45 years are eligible to get the shots. Public and private hospitals have administered over eight crore doses with most of them accounting for the first dose.
So far, India has given emergency approval to two Covid-19 vaccines -- Covaxin of Bharat Biotech and Covishield of Oxford-AstraZeneca, being manufactured by the Serum Institute of India.
A large number of experts have underlined that there are absolutely safe — and minor side-effects expected in a small number of cases — but that should not dissuade people from taking the shot.
So, here are some of the things you need to know
Before taking the vaccine shot
- In case you have allergies to any medication, or drugs, it is important to get an all-clear from your family doctor or medical practitioner.
- If you were infected with coronavirus in the last one-and-a-half months or have received blood plasma therapy or monoclonal antibodies, you must refrain from taking the vaccine.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers should not receive Covid-19 vaccine
- Wear light, comfortable clothes. In all probability, you will be sitting while being given the shot in your arm.
- Most important, Maintain six-feet distance from others and wear a mask even while going for the vaccination
After taking the vaccine shot
- After receiving vaccination, you will be monitored at the vaccination centre itself for up to 30 minutes.
- You will also receive a SMS after getting vaccinated with the date and time of vaccination dose.
- Side effects like pain at the injection site and fever are common, so do not panic.
- However, in case if the discomfort persists, visit the nearest doctor and also inform the health worker whose phone number is given in the Co-Win SMS.
Important things to Consider
- As antibodies take a few days to develop in the body, which means a person can still get infected after receiving their first/second dose. Thus, it is advisable to strictly follow the basic guideline, i.e. wear a proper mask covering your mouth and nose, and stay at least six feet away from others.
Q: Do I have to quarantine myself after getting vaccination?
No,CDC guidelines suggest that individuals who have been immunized against the viral infection, i.e. got two shots of the vaccine will no longer need to practice quarantine measures.
Q: Can I take alcohol?
Yes, you can consume alcohol after vaccination. The health ministry has informed that there are no side-effects of taking alcohol after. However, one should avoid taking it before going for vaccination.
Dowloading vaccination certificates
Apart from this, It is important to keep proof of vaccination as it may be for many things in the coming months like international travel. However, many people who have already been vaccinated are wondering about how to download covid-19 vaccine certificates.
You can download vaccine certificate from Arogya Setu app or Co-WIN portal (cowin.gov.in)
From Co-WIN portal
Go to the CoWin app or website
Enter your Beneficiary ID and search
Once you find your certificate, just simply download it.
From Arogya Setu App
Open Aarogya Setu app and go to the CoWin section
Then, tap on the vaccination certificate option
Once done, just enter your Beneficiary Reference ID and tap on the "Get Certificate" button.
Number of Reads: 20