The reign of terror in Mamata Banerjee’s West Bengal against the leaders and workers of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) shows no sign of abating.
The latest is Debendra Nath Roy, BJP MLA from Hemtabad, a reserved seat in Uttar Dinajpur, was found hanging in Bindal, near his village home. The BJP Bengal twitter handle claimes that “people were of the opinion that he was first killed and then hung. Roy had joined the BJP in 2019.
— Vicky Agarwal (@vickyagarwall) July 13, 2020
The social media was abuzz this morning with angry twitterati, drawing a parallel to George Floyd moment in the United States and hashtagging: #HinduLivesDon’tMatter.
There is no way of knowing if it was a suicide or murder but too many things happen in Bengal around election times—the state elections are due early next year—against the political opponents of ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) to assume it be anything other than political in nature.
For instance, around the 2019 general elections—in which BJP shook the foundation of TMC with 18 seats won out of 42—a series of attacks and murders of BJP workers was little reported in biased Lutyens Media but had taken the social media by storm. A little recounting of these unfortunate incidents is in order:
- Shishupal Sahish, 22, a BjP worker, son of a BJP gram parishad member, was found hanging from a tree;
- BJP worker Santu Ghosh was shot dead;
- BJP worker Raman Singh was found dead in Gopiballabpur, Jhargam;
- A BJP worker, Chandan Shaw, was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Bhatapura of North 23 Parganas district;
- Two BJP workers, Ananta Guchait and Ranjit Maity were shot at in Bhagabanpur of East Medinipur;
- Patanu Mondal, 28, a BJP worker, was shot dead inside his house as he was deep asleep with his wife and eight-month old daughter when a few men broke into his house and opened fire;
- Apurba Chakraborty of BJP was returning from a wedding in Islampur when he was thrashed to the extent that he was reported in critical condition in the hospital:
- Shaktipada Sardar of BJP from Mandir Bazar in South 24 Parganas was brutally hacked to death last July. He was attacked with sharp weapons while returning from work and left to bleed and ultimately death;
- A 33-year-old BjP worker, Dulal Kumar was found hanging from a high tension electric pole from Dabha village in the Balrampur region of Purulia district;
- A young BJP worker named Trilochan Mahato was found hanging from a tree in the jungle of near Balrampur Village. According to reports he was dragged out of his house by masked goons;
- Dharmaraj Hazra, 54 and a BJP worker, was found dead in a lake with his hands and feet tied with a rope in Murshidabad district.