MEA calls out Pakistan on terror bid in Nagrota, Jammu
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Saturday issued a detailed statement on the killing of four Jaish e Mohammed (JeM) terrorists in Nagrota near Jammu. It has expressed concern to Pakistan saying the country must fulfill its international obligations of not allowing its territory to promote terrorism.
India conveyed strong concern to Aftab Hassan Khan, the acting head of the Pakistan high commission, over terror attack planned by JeM in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The Pakistan's Cd'A was summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs and a strong protest was lodged at the attempted attack, which was only prevented from happening by the alertness of the Indian security forces," the MEA statement said. Initial investigations suggest that the terrorists were planning to disrupt the forthcoming District Development Council (DDC) elections.
On Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi complimented the security forces for foiling the JeM efforts. He said that seizure of a large quantity of arms and ammunition, besides neutralising four terrorists, pointed to attempts at targetting DDC polls.
The PM, Union Home Minister Amit Shah, National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla, and top intelligence officials reviewed the Nagrota encounter.
Late on Thursday afternoon, IGP Jammu Mukesh Singh had clearly indicated that these terrorists were planning to disrupt the DDC polls. So far, over 200 terrorists have been killed in Jammu and Kashmir during the year 2020.
There were some intelligence inputs about terrorists and this helped the security forces to challenge the truck carrying them to Kashmir. It has been observed for many years now that Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) tries to push in terrorists into J&K just ahead of the winters. Due to this, the security forces are usually kept on a high state of alert.
Number of Reads: 3